Boz

Legs n' lungs - me hopes.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

RMR Training Camp - Fruita, Colo.







Pics - in no particular order - breakfast at camp, going Euro' for coffee, and good times at Saturday's dinner. I'll start this off with a few quotes - "Oh my god, I think I just killed something organic" - "They probably stopped so Blake could buy a gun" - "I'm not taking my chamois off until Sunday" - "I figured you guys paid enough for a helicopter, you'd have one come pick Dean up". Onto the story. Thursday - Took the entire day off and headed to Fruita early. Got in around noon, set up camp and relaxed enjoying some quiet and not being in the office. Went for a two hour spin on my new Giant hard tail, must say that I dig the new rig. Friday - More of the RMR crew rolls in and we head to town on our road bikes for some coffee. Took about an hour to get there as we were dragging without the coffee we were in search of. After a few cups of the good stuff we head back to camp. Unbeknownst to me, my left rear brake pad was fully engaged on my rim, I felt horrible on the ride back and was happy learn my brake pad was the culprit and not my fitness. Friday afternoon we take the mountain bikes to the Bookcliffs where the trails are super fine. Friday evening we start the campfire and cook our vittles. A little trick I like to play while camping is to stick some food under someone's tent as to lure animals and scare the crap out of that person. Well I decided to pick on the other Bryan and Jordan who were sharing a tent cuz Jordan forgot his. When no one was looking, and I still haven't told anyone about this, I stuck a big hunk of salmon under their tent. The next morning all the other Bryan could talk about was the "giant deer" that paid him a visit, to get a visual of his story, he held his hands in the air to describe the size of the rack on said salmon eating deer…I crack myself up sometimes. Saturday - We were all dragging due to a late night of story telling around the fire and "giant deer" visits so we drive into town to get coffee and meet up with the rest of the crew which now totaled 17. We all headed out for the Mack exit to ride the gnarly goods down there. Roughly two hours into the ride one of our stronger guys, Dean, wrecked hard. He was in absolute pain and couldn't talk, move, nothing. After staying with him for 15-minutes the other Bryan and I figured that this was not a good situation so we rode back to the trucks to get our cells and call rescue. Rescue shows up 20-minutes later with a gurney. There were only three of them so I volunteered to help carry in the gurney and their supplies. They gave Dean some morphine and we started carrying him out. Luckily the entire crew was there so everyone helped. About half way out a big ol' six wheeler met us and we loaded Dean onto that. Dean made it to the emergency room and they found his bottom two right ribs to broken and the right kidney to be lacerated, luckily no internal bleeding or lung punctures. Dean is still in Grand Junction fixing to head back later this week. He is one tough dude and will be back to riding in a month or so, bummer is no mountain bike for at least three months, he's going to be back to 100% soon which is great news. At this point Dean is in the hospital and there's nothing more we can do so we hit up the best and only Mexican restaurant in town for libation, food, and more libation. Sunday - We once again head up to the Bookcliffs for some fat tire madness. The drive home was miserable as we encountered massive ski traffic turning a four drive into six, oh well, what are you going to do. So that's about all I can write about Fruita this year. We're certainly doing it again next year. Peace, B

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM , Blogger ALAN said...

WTF? No bike pictures?

Did you guys go hunting in those orange caps?

Sounds like a good time

Alan - sending Dean good vibes.

 
At 8:21 PM , Blogger Costellos said...

Hey AS,
No bike pics, I forgot. Dean is doing better, the freak hopped on his trainer yesterday...he ended up in Swedish (long story) after being released from GJ Cath. We did indeed hunt, burritos and coffee, to say the least. And as an FYI, those orange caps helped us avoid being runned over by cooters, kind of like the REI 'special' neon green vest (like Kenny wears). Hope to see you on the rubber side soon. Ready for 12+ snow, I'm not, egads man. Is it CX season yet? Over/n/out, B

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home