Boz

Legs n' lungs - me hopes.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

First Race as a Semi-pro

First mountain bike race of the season is under the belt, and I'm glad. Our field included 33 finishers, one of them being non-other than Georgia Gould (she's fast!) and likely to be representing the stars/stripes in Beijing. The race was held in Nathop, Colo., roughly two hours west of Denver, just north of Salida. The gun (or loud voice, I wasn't paying attention) goes off and the vicious pedaling began. Once things settled I found myself in the company of friends - teammate Derek and all-around racing pal Alan. Hopefully it was the warm weather or training week prior, but I felt terribly flat. Somewhere on the third lap Derek and Alan decided to start resting for Angel Fire so I ended up a few seconds in front of each of them. In the end I ended up 17th, the only saving grace is that my time would have 'won' my old Expert division and I would have managed to finish in front of seven/eight 'pros'. Post race a bunch of us hit up Amica's Pizza & Microbrews in Salida. I must plug their fine fair and even finer micros, their IPA is uber bueno. Full bellies and growlers in hand, we headed to Doody's A-frame at the base of Monarch. Sunday morning we headed back to the venue to ready ourselves for the STXC battle which looked to be on a super-fun course. Unfortunately there was a scheduling snafu and our race was moved from around noon, to nearly 6:00 p.m., putting us home around 9:00 p.m. That didn't work for most of us so we loaded up and headed to Buffalo Creek to ride those sweet trails. All-in-all it was a great way to start the season off. Next up is Battle the Bear then Angel Fire over Memorial Day weekend, hooray. In Floyd We Trust - Lemond is a Tool. Peace, B

4 Comments:

At 7:50 AM , Blogger ALAN said...

I wish I could say that.

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger Costellos said...

Yo AS,
We're on similar schedules, taking 12+ hours into this race, no worries, first of what, ten-ish races in 07', compare our times to our old 'categories' and rejoice. I "hope" to peak at Crested Butte, even though that course bruised my heart (you saw it) last year, I want some redemption, it's the only (for the mostpart) race I care about this year. Chalk Creek was training, period. Peace, B

 
At 7:57 AM , Blogger ALAN said...

kick the bear's ass.

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger ALAN said...

Oh yeah, and if you put in that time with 12 hours under your belt, you are going to be tough to keep up with this year. Nice work!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home